The winter season is often synonymous with comfort food. When the weather starts to turn chilly, we start to crave rich, hearty meals that can warm us up from the inside out. But who has the time or the energy to slave over a hot stove all day?
One-pot stews are the perfect solution for busy homemakers who want to serve scrumptious dinners in no time at all. These one-pot wonders are not only easy to make, but they're also nourishing and comforting. We’ve created a guide to everything you need to know about creating yummy one-pot winter stews that the whole family will devour.
What Is a One-Pot Stew?
As the name suggests, one-pot stew recipes combine pretty much all the ingredients into one pot to cook. You simmer a one-pot stew on a low to medium heat for a minimum of 20 minutes, letting the flavours, spices, meat and vegetables cook down together, infusing each other with their unique flavours. The secret to a good one-pot stew is the sauce. You need to make sure you always add enough sauce into the pot so that it never dries out and burns.
What Are The Benefits of One Pot Meals?
The main benefit to cooking easy one-pot stews is that they take really quick to prepare, so you won’t have to spend hours slaving away in the kitchen preparing the recipe. The other benefits to one-pot stews include;
- They are very nutritious thanks to the loads of vegetables and healthy proteins that usually go into them.
- There is less washing up with one-pot stews because there is only one pot to clean – meaning more time with the family.
- You can save on waste, because you can use whatever you have in the vegetable rack or fridge – nothing needs to get thrown away but rather thrown into the pot.
- They often contain a range of healthy spices like cinnamon, cayenne pepper and turmeric which are known to have a range of health benefits.
How To Prepare a One Pot Stew
There are a few steps involved in how to make one-pot winter stews. It's all about putting your ingredients together in one pot and letting the magic happen. However, preparation is important for one-pot stews;
- First, you need to choose a hearty one-pot stew recipe to make. Following a recipe will ensure that you have the right quantities and the right balance of spices and sauce.
- Gather your ingredients before you start cooking. Chop the vegetables, dice the meat, and have the bottles of spice and sauces ready. Then, when its time throw everything in, so that all the cooking can happen at once
One-Pot Winter Stews To Keep You Cosy
One-Pot Lemon Chicken Dinner
One-Pot Lemon Chicken Dinner Seared lemon slices, garlic, thyme and two Knorr Chicken Stock Pots give this simple one-pot chicken dinner glorious fresh, aromatic flavours. But the magic ingredient is millet: a super-versatile, nutritious ancient grain that’s added directly to the pot and simmered in the rich broth until it is tender and has absorbed all the flavours. Serve with fresh coriander and a crisp green salad.
One-Pot Beef and Quinoa Stew
One-Pot Beef and Quinoa Stew A hearty, comforting beef stew made even more nutritious with quinoa. This gluten-free ancient grain is a complete protein because it contains all nine of the essential amino acids. Pack in plenty of fresh veggies, and use red wine, a Knorr Stock Pot and the famous Knorr Brown Onion Soup to create amazing layers of rich flavour.
One-Pot Wonder with Chicken, Prawns and Olives
One-Pot Wonder with Chicken, Prawns and Olives This classic one-pan dish is a delicious combo of chicken, prawns and peppers finished off with olives and rocket, and best of all it’s made all in one pan, so it means less washing up. When you’re looking for one-pot winter stew recipes, as well as a range of other recipes for all kinds of palates and tastes, visit What’s For Dinner now.