Vegan Cottage Pie
Hearty mushroom stew topped with mashed potatoes and baked to golden perfection
- For the Mushroom Stew
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Rajah Medium Curry Powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Robertsons Paprika
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced into rounds
- 250 g Portobello mushrooms, halved
- 250 g Button mushrooms halved
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Robertsons Masterblends Rosemary & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 sachet (50 g) tomato paste
- 1 Knorr Vegetable stock pot
- 500 ml (2 cups) boiling water
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Robertsons Thyme
- 7,5 ml (1 tsp) Robertsons Black Pepper
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- For the Mash
- 8 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 7,5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 43 g (3 tbsp) vegan butter
- 60 ml (¼ cup) coconut cream
- 7,5 ml (1 tsp) Robertsons Ground White Pepper
- For the Mushroom Stew:
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 7-8 minutes until soft, stirring frequently. Add Rajah medium curry powder, Robertsons paprika and garlic and continue to saute while stirring for another 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, mushrooms and Robertsons Masterblends Rosemary & Garlic seasoning then fry until mushrooms have browned, 6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and add Knorr Vegetable stock pot, water and bay leaves. Cover pot and simmer over medium low heat for 35 minutes until carrots are soft and gravy is thick.
- Add peas, Robertsons thyme and Robertsons black pepper, cover pot and simmer for another 15 minutes. Then stir in fresh parsley, take off the heat and set aside.
- For the Mash:
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of water. Boil until tender, 20 minutes.
- Drain water from potatoes and mash well. Stir in vegan butter, coconut cream, salt, Robertsons ground white pepper. Mash until smooth and well combined.
- Pour mushroom stew in an oven-proof dish and level out with a spoon. Spoon mash potatoes over the stew, level with a spoon, then use a fork to create grooves on top of the mash (this helps with browning)
- Bake in the oven at 180 °C for 20 minutes or until the mash is golden brown. Serve hot.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.