Vegetable and Herb Spiral Tart
Here’s an inspiring idea for a gorgeous veggie tart that looks as good as it tastes. Thinly sliced vegetables and caramelised onions are cloaked in a creamy mixture of egg, cheese and origanum, then baked in a flaky pastry tart. The secret ingredient that rounds out all the flavours? Robertsons Chicken Spice! Serve warm or cool, topped with fresh rocket.
- For the Pastry
- 250 g cup of chilled butter, cubed
- 500 ml or 2 cups of cake flour
- 60 ml or 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/16 tsp Pinch of salt
- 2.5 ml or 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml 1 cup of finely grated cheddar
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 5 ml 1 tsp of ice water
- For the Filling
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 5 ml or 1 tsp sugar
- 5 ml or 1 tsps Robertsons Chicken Spice
- 2 eggs, light whisked
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 green patty pans
- 4 yellow patty pans
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 small butternut, peeled
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp Robertsons Italian herbs
- 20 g Garnish with watercress
- Grease a 24cm loose bottom tart tin and set aside.
- Mix all pastry ingredients together.
- Knead by hand to form a dough, adding a few drops of ice water if needed.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface, then line the base and sides of the tart tin, trimming away any excess dough.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to use.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat.
- Cook the onions and Robertsons Chicken Spice gently, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until soft, sticky and caramelised. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the egg, cheese and onion together and spread over the base of the tart.
- Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, cut the patty pans, sweet potato and butternut into thin slices.
- Starting on the outside, arrange the vegetables into concentric circles with the rounded edges facing up.
- Brush the vegetables with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the Robertsons Italian Herbs.
- Place the tin on a baking tray and bake in a 180º C oven for 60 minutes or until the tart is golden brown and the vegetables cooked through.
- Serve with crisp watercress.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.