These deliciously spicy snacks are made with mashed potato, cashew nuts, ginger, garlic and chillies, then deep-fried in a chickpea-flour batter to crisp golden perfection. Serve these vegan bites with chutney or tomato sauce.
- For potato masala:
- 10 ml (2 tsp) vegetable oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) mustard seeds
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) coriander seeds crushed
- 1 handful of curry leaves, chopped
- 6 cashews roughly crushed
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2.5 cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Robertsons Turmeric
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Robertsons Peri-Peri
- 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) Rajah Mild Masala Curry Powder
- 2 ml salt to taste
- 355 g (or 3 medium sized potato) boiled, peeled and mashed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) coriander leaves finely chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- For the batter:
- 250 ml (1 cup) chickpea flour or besan flour
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) corn flour
- 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) Robertsons Peri-Peri
- 125 ml (1/4 tsp) baking soda
- 200 ml water
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vegetable oil (plus extra for deep frying)
- First prepare the potato masala. In a large pan, heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and some curry leaves. Be careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the crushed cashews and toast until golden brown. Now add the onion, ginger and chilli, and sauté until soft.
- Stir in the Robertsons Turmeric, Robertsons Peri-Peri, Rajah Mild Masala Curry Powder and salt, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the mashed potato, coriander leaves and lemon juice and mix well. Set aside and allow to cool.
- To make the batter, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a pot. Form the potato mixture into balls and dip each one into the prepared batter. Deep fry the balls in the hot oil, in batches, until they are crisp and golden.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or chutney.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.