Mexican Chicken Tinga Tortillas with Red Cabbage and Charred Corn Slaw
Get ready for a flavour fiesta! Chicken Tinga is a versatile Mexican stew made with shredded chicken in a spicy, smoky tomato and onion sauce. In this recipe, the tinga is given a home-grown flavour with Knorr Chakalaka Soup, then served on tortillas with a crunchy cabbage slaw and a topping of sliced avocado.
- For the chicken tinga:
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 15 ml tomato paste
- 5 ml Robertsons Cumin
- 15 ml Robertsons Paprika
- 15 ml chipotle spice (optional)
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 375 ml water
- 50 g (1 sachet) Knorr Chakalaka Soup
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 2.5 ml Robertsons Black Pepper, to taste
- For the slaw:
- 2 cobs of corn
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 3 grated carrots
- 50 ml mayonnaise
- 15 ml lemon juice
- To serve:
- 4 large or 8 small tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Add the tomato paste, Robertsons Cumin, Robertsons Paprika and (optional) chipotle spice. Sauté for a further minute.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, water and the contents of the sachet of Knorr Chakalaka Soup. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and simmer for a further five minutes.
- Season to taste with lemon juice and Robertsons Black Pepper.
- Now make the slaw. Brush the cobs of corn lightly with oil and cook them under a hot grill or in a frying pan until they are tender and lightly charred all over. Cut the kernels off the cobs and place them in a bowl. Add the cabbage, carrots, mayonnaise and lemon juice, and mix well.
- To assemble the dish, place the tortillas on a flat surface. Top each one with a spoonful of the chicken tinga, followed by the slaw and slices of avocado. Fold the tortillas in half and serve immediately.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.