Pea and Spinach Risotto
The secret to a beautifully creamy risotto is to take your time adding the stock, one ladle at a time, so you achieve just the right consistency. Use fresh baby spinach and frozen peas in this vegetarian risotto, and finish it with butter and a shower of grated Parmesan cheese for an extra touch of luxury.
- 2 x Knorr vegetable stock pots
- 1 litre hot water
- 45 ml olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 125 ml white wine
- 200 g baby spinach, stems discarded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 30 g (2 tbsp) butter
- 125 ml grated Parmesan
- 2.5 ml Robertsons black pepper
- the juice of 1 lemon
- extra Parmesan, to finish
- sprigs of fresh mint, to garnish
- In a pot, dissolve the two Knorr Vegetable Stock Pots in 1 litre of hot water. Bring to a gentle simmer, and make sure the stock remains hot while you’re making the risotto.
- Heat the oil in a separate pot over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and fry gently until softened.
- Stir in the arborio rice and let it toast for one minute. Add the wine and let it simmer for five to six minutes, or until it has reduced by about half. Now add one ladle of the hot stock. Cook the rice, stirring gently and continuously, until all the stock has been absorbed. Add another ladle of stock, and repeat the process until you have used up all the stock and the rice is cooked through and creamy, but still slightly firm to the bite.
- Add the spinach and peas and simmer gently until the peas are hot.
- Stir in the butter, Parmesan and lemon juice and season to taste with Robertsons Black Pepper.
- Divide the risotto between four bowls and serve hot, topped with extra Parmesan and mint sprigs.