Creamy Mushroom and Pearl Barley Risotto
If you’re ever at a loss about what to make for a filling vegetarian meal, consider this delicious risotto, which is flavoured with white wine, thyme, parmesan cheese and Knorr Mushroom Soup. In this risotto, rice is replaced with inexpensive , nutrient-rich pearl barley.
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt
- 200 g button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 250 ml pearl barley
- 125 ml white wine
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot (dissolved in 400ml hot water)
- 50 g packet Knorr cream of mushroom soup
- 50 g Parmesan / pecorino, finely grated
- 5 g butter
- Robertsons Atlantic sea salt, to season
- 1 ml Robertsons black pepper, to taste
- To Serve:
- 20 g Parmesan / pecorino, finely grated
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over a low heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme and a pinch of Robertson’s Atlantic Sea Salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until starting to soften but without colouring, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the pearl barley. Cook for a further minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the white wine to the pot and allow to it boil until it has reduced down completely.
- Put the Knorr Vegetable stock in a pot of a medium heat to stay hot.
- Once the wine has reduced down completely, turn the heat down to low-medium and add the Knorr Mushroom Soup and a cup of the stock mix to the pot. Stirring gently.
- Once all the stock has been absorbed, add another cup, and stir gently.
- Continue this process until your barley is cooked.
- Turn the heat off and add the grated cheese and butter, stir to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To Serve
- Serve the hot risotto in four individual bowls. Top with extra grated parmesan/pecorino and thyme leaves.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.