Slow-Cooked Chicken Necks with Mielie Meal
A super-simple one-pot family dinner that won’t break the bank. Slowly simmering chicken necks in a rich gravy produces a beautifully tender, flavoursome result, while carrots, potatoes, garlic and onion add important extra nutrients to the dish. Serve with cooked mielie meal.
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 800 g chicken necks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 26 g (1 sachet) Knorr rich savoury gravy
- 800 ml water
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 4 potatoes, peeled
- 1.5 ml Robertsons black pepper
- 2 cups cooked maize meal (mielie meal), to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a high heat. Add the chicken necks and fry them quickly until well coloured, then remove and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to low. Add the onions and sauté for five minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a further three minutes.
- Place the chicken necks back in the pot. Add the contents of the sachet of Knorr Rich Savoury Gravy and 800ml water, and stir well. Cut the carrots and potatoes into chunks and add them to the pot.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat. Simmer for one hour, or until tender. Season to taste with Robertsons Black Pepper and serve with cooked mielie meal.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.