Brinjal and Meatball Bake
A different take on lasagne. The sliced brinjal makes for a guilt-free dish that’s easy to make.
- 2 cups of sliced aubergines (brinjals)
- 1 cup peeled and grated tomatoes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 tbsp crushed ginger and garlic
- 1 tbsp Knorrox barbeque spice
- 1 egg
- 1 kg of beef mince meat
- 1 tbsp Knorrox all-in-one spice
- 250 ml (1 cup) low-fat milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Tomato Sauce
- In a saucepan, heat oil and add onions. Add Knorrox All-In-One spice and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add grated tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- White Sauce
- In a separate saucepan, heat margarine and add flour. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add milk and stir using a whisk to avoid lumps.
- Stir until it starts simmering and is well combined, the consistency is "pouring" sauce consistency. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add Knorrox Barbeque spice, crushed ginger and garlic, herbs and egg to your mince.
- Mix using your hands to make sure flavour is evenly distributed. Roll into bite-size balls.
- In a flat lasagne baking dish, layer sliced brinjal, pour tomato sauce.
- Follow with the white sauce, sprinkle grated cheese and add a few meatballs.
- Repeat the layering order, then finish the top with cheese.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.