Boerewors Kebabs with Spinach and Tomato Smoor
Add something extra to your boerewors kebabs with this easy-to-make tomato smoor.
- 600 g thin Boerewors
- 8 bamboo skewers (soaked in cold water for 30 minutes)
- Spinach and Tomato Smoor
- 30 ml oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 ml Robertsons Barbecue Spice
- 2.5 ml Robertsons Crushed Chillies
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 60 ml tomato sauce
- 10 ml Robertsons Parsley
- salt and black pepper, to season
- 200 g chopped, rinsed spinach
- 4 pitta breads (pitas)
- 15 ml olive oil
- Divide the boerewors into 8 equal pieces and thread on the skewers (spirals).
- Heat a griddle pan on medium heat and grill the boerewors spirals about 5 minutes on a side until cooked and lightly charred. Alternatively cook the boerewors skewers on the barbecue.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add the onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook for a few minutes whilst stirring and add the rest of the ingredients and spices – except the spinach. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the sauce is thick. Add the spinach and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Brush the pita breads with the olive oil. Cut in half but do not cut through and toast (on the barbeque, in the oven or use a toaster). Spoon some of the smoor into the pitas and insert two kebabs per pita.
- Nut Free
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.