Creamy Bacon and Leek Pap Tart
In search of dinner ideas? This recipe calls for mouth-watering bacon, mushrooms, cream and cheese layered with flavoured pap - scrumptious!
- 750 ml water
- 43 g (1 sachet) Knorr Creamy garlic and Herb Potato Bake
- 750 ml cornmeal (maize meal)
- 15 ml oil
- 2 medium-sized leeks
- 4 bacon rashers, chopped
- 100 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ml salt to season
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ml Robertsons black pepper to taste
- In a pot, bring 500 ml to the boil, add Knorr Garlic and Herb Potato Bake and boil for another 2 minutes.
- In a jug, add maize meal to the remaining 250 ml water and mix to form a smooth paste.
- Add to the boiling water, stirring continuously to prevent lumps.
- Reduce heat and cook for 20-30 minutes on medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cooked pap from the heat and pour into a large, flat baking dish and refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a pan, heat oil and fry leeks, bacon and mushrooms.
- Add 125 ml cream to the bacon mixture and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Slice the pap and layer half the quantity in an ovenproof dish.
- Top with the bacon and mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese and season with salt Robertsons Black Pepper .
- Arrange the remaining slices of pap over the top, and pour cream over.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve as a main meal or as a side serving.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.