Mushroom and Cowpea Meatballs with Creamy Mustard Sauce
Whip up some meat-free meatballs with mushrooms and cowpeas (black eyed beans), one of our special Future 50 Foods. Served with a creamy mustard sauce, this dish is the perfect vegetarian snack!
- 600 g button mushrooms chopped
- 800 g black eyed beans (cowpeas) cooked
- 1 packet (50 g) of Knorr minestrone soup
- 2 large eggs (or vegan flaxseed mixture as replacement)
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- olive oil for frying
- 500 ml milk
- 30 ml wholegrain mustard
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat and saute the mushrooms until golden.
- Allow to cool then place in a food processor or blender with the cowpeas (black eyed beans), 2 tablespoonfuls of the KNORR minestrone soup, the eggs and flour.
- Using wet hands, roll tablespoonfuls into balls.
- Reheat the non-stick frying pan and add a little oil.
- Add the mushroom balls and saute, turning every now and then, until golden.
- Mix the milk, remaining KNORR minestrone soup and mustard and add to the meatballs in the pan. Cook for 10 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.