Start Your Day the Vegan Way: Delicious Vegan Breakfast Ideas
The rise of the vegan diet has given the breakfast staples some stiff competition. Where dairy and animal produce once reigned as the kings of the morning meal, plant-based options that are just as filling and hearty, are now becoming more of a go-to-response to not just a burgeoning global vegan population, but also a group of some simply looking to add more sustainability to their diet.
So, yes – eggs, cheese and yoghurt, begone. It’s time to let nature’s finest step up.
But what are some good vegan breakfast ideas? Here are a few to try.
Vegan Tofu Scramble
In the vein of the traditional scramble, only lighter, and with tofu taking centre stage here, instead of eggs, the vegan scramble is a very satisfying go-to as a meal that isn't too heavy but will still keep one going till lunch. Here’s a recipe just chock full of veggie goodness.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ an onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 chilli, chopped
- ½ a baby marrow, diced
- ½ a teaspoon of paprika
- A handful of spinach
- 1 sliced avocado
- 250g of the tofu of your choice
- Bring the olive oil to heat in a pan and add the onion, garlic, chilli and baby marrow. Season lightly while cooking with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, add the paprika, and cook for another 2 minutes. Lastly, add the spinach, and cook until wilted.
- Place your tofu in a bowl, break it up until it resembles scrambled eggs, and add to the pan to cook until hot. Serve on a toasted bread of your choice, with the sliced avocado.
Frozen Berry Smoothie
The on-the-go easy vegan breakfast, this one’s super quick and really easy for those hectic work days or busy mornings.
- 200g of frozen berries
- 1 banana
- 250ml of almond milk
- Like we said, quick and easy: blend the whole lot until smooth and enjoy.
Here it is, the vegan omelette – a What’s For Dinner creation that’s making waves in the vegan breakfast community. It’s a light and fluffy eggless chickpea flour omelette with sauteed baby spinach, mushrooms, peppers, avocado and chopped spring onion, drizzled with a delectable homemade vegan ranch dressing. Best of all, no eggs were harmed in the making of this one, of course.