Herbs, spices, and seasonings are a cook’s best friend. You can’t cook without them unless you were on some kind of bland food diet, which we can imagine to be quite sad. We love how herbs and spices, when combined, can bring such an amazing taste and flavour to meals. If you’re just starting to learn how to cook or don’t quite understand which herbs and seasonings to use or how to use them, we’re here to help!
The herbs and seasoning you use can make or break a dish. This is because herbs and spices are not like salt or pepper; they can’t be used for anything and everything. They add flavour, aroma, and colour, making our food more appetizing.
Our guide will provide you with all the information you need on culinary seasoning and herbs. We'll even teach you about the different types of seasonings and herbs available, their flavours and aromas, and how best to use them in your cooking.
What is the Difference Between Herbs and Seasoning?
Herbs and seasonings are kitchen essentials. It’s often easy to confuse the two and mistake them for being the same because they essentially do the same job; season your food. Herbs and spices are made from plants but from different sections each. When you think of herbs, you think of fresh leaves like basil and parsley.
When you think of spices, you imagine curry powders and powdered spices like cumin and cinnamon. Spices are stronger in flavour as they are made from crushed plants that contain essential oils.
A Guide to Robertson's Herbs and Spices
Robertsons have become a trusted and well-known household brand for many South African families. Distinguished by our iconic packaging, it’s never been easier to search for herbs, spices, and seasonings for your meals. The next time you’re spice shopping, use the below as a handy guide to find the right product for you.
- Green bottles = dried herbs
- Orange bottles = spices
- Red bottles = peppers (paprika, cayenne or peri-peri)
- Brown bottles = meat seasonings
- Purple bottles = specific dishes (e.g., Cajun or Portuguese)
- Black / white bottles = salt and pepper
- Blue bottles = garlic variants and specialised seasonings
Which Robertson's Herbs and Spices are a Must-have?
- Salt and pepper: the starter kit to good meals, these simply enhance the flavour of your meals.
- Barbeque spice: try something new and breathe life into your meals with barbeque spice. Your roasted potato and egg salads will never be the same again.
- Chicken spice: not just for chicken, but for any meal you want to add more zing to. Try adding it to spaghetti with saucy pilchards.
- Mixed herbs: packed with basil, oregano, and marjoram, this is an all-around winner.
- Mixed spice: a combination of flavourful spices, perfect for pumpkin pies and hot-cross buns.
A Guide to Spice Mixes
Robertsons spice mixes are expertly blended to create something wonderful for every dish. Journey into a world full of flavour with Robertsons range of spice mixes. You know that spice is nice, but did you know that our products are GMO-free, non-irradiated and contain no added MSG? Create your own unique spice mix with the Robertsons range. Combine Robertsons Cloves, Cinnamon, Coriander, Nutmeg and Ginger for warm and gentle spicy notes. This spice mix is perfect for cakes, puddings, bread, and pancakes as it has a slightly sweeter flavour.
Our signature Portuguese spice mix is uniquely crafted to transport your tastebuds to another country’s signature dish. It brings the flavour home so you can enjoy it without leaving your kitchen. Ideally, you would use this spice to make a flavourful Portuguese chicken dish.
What are Spice Blends?
Spice blends are a unique combination of herbs and spices. These ingredients are carefully selected to bring you phenomenal flavour in one convenient bottle. Check out some of our winning spice blends below:
- Robertsons steak and chops: every meat lover’s best friend. This spice blend is perfect for us for braais, curries, or stews.
- Robertsons spice for fish : Spicy, zesty, sweet, and fresh – a spice blend designed to add bold flavour to any fish dish.
- Robertsons spice for rice: warm and nutty, your pot of rice will taste twice as nice with our tasty spice blend.
The Robertson's Masterblends Guide
Masterblends are what you would call a masterpiece of spice blends. It is expertly blended using the finest herbs and spices that can be used to give a unique spin on roasts or mouth-watering, sizzling steaks. Your family lunch gatherings will be something everyone looks forward to because of that signature Robertsons aroma. Two of our top Masterblends spices are the Spicy Shisanyama for a tasty kick on prawns or chops and our Rustic Garlic and Herb for toast-ally awesome steamed mushrooms on toast.
When Should You Use Herbs, Spices and Spice Mixes?
Now the real fun begins; when should you add herbs and spices to your meals? Herbs and spices can be added to the meal's beginning or end to brighten the flavours. Fresh herbs are ideally added once a meal is complete to either act as a garnish or to give it a more distinct flavour. When cooking curries, it’s best to sizzle your spices in oil to unlock the delicious aroma.
How to Choose the Right Herbs and Seasoning?
Choosing the right herbs and seasonings is pretty simple. If you prefer fresh herbs, make sure you buy them to use immediately as they do wilt quicker. Dried herbs are ideal to keep in your pantry to use anytime for any meal. Your kitchen, your rules, your herbs, and spices. Choose whichever herbs and spices you want for your spice rack. For quality, make sure you choose Robertsons. To browse our full range of spices, herbs, master blends and spice mixes, visit whatsfordinner today.