Summer is the perfect season for a braai. One of the many amazing things about using a braai to cook is that you can grill anything you want. From sizzling meat and garlic bread to sosaties and chicken wings, there’s no limit to what food you can cook on a braai. Whether you’ve considered the braai master or the one who does the meal prep, how do you know which herbs and spices to use? Do you stick to bottle marinades, a mixture of spices or a bit of both?
This guide will show you some of the best grilling spices and rubs for any meat or vegetable you want to throw on the grill. We've got all the classics like salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and some other unique and tasty flavours. With our handy manual for the best grilling spices, you'll be able to grill up a storm this summer!
Which Herbs and Spices are Great for Grilling
Herbs and spices are flavour gateways to amazing food. When combined correctly, the taste is out of this world. When it comes to grilling meat, you can’t just throw any herb and spice on; it’s about learning what works well with what type of meat. Here are some herbs and spices that pair beautifully with meat or veggies:
- For beef: Robertsons basil, sage, parsley, and rosemary are excellent herbs to use for beef. Our top brown spices such as Steak and Chops and Barbeque will make the flavour of your beef pop.
- For fish: Robertsons thyme, fennel, dill, oregano, and spice for fish are just some of our flavour-filled herbs and spices that will expertly season your choice of fish. Just a sprinkle or two is enough to make any fish dish taste amazing.
- For chicken: for tender, juicy chicken pieces, season with Robertsons coriander, oregano, basil, and tarragon. Our Chicken spice is aromatic and will give that chicken a juicy burst of fresh flavour.
- For pork: for moist and plump pork, season generously with Robertsons sage, rosemary, and thyme.
- For veggies: a combination of thyme, basil, mixed herbs, parsley, and oregano all bring out the flavours of your favourite grilled veggies. Did you know that our Robertsons Barbeque spice is incredibly versatile and takes your grilled or roasted veggies to new heights?
How to Prepare for a Summer Grill
You’re planning a delicious summer grill but you’re not sure where or how to start? We’ve got you covered! Use the below as a guide to help you navigate your preparation for a fun, summertime braai.
Buy all the Meat and Veggies You Need
They say that failing to plan is planning to fail. Make sure you list all the meat and veggies you want at your summer grill. As a host, checking with your guests about their dietary requirements before purchasing is best. Try sticking to various cuts and types of meat so you can flavour them all accordingly.
Ensure All your Grilling Essentials Are Ready
Have you got all of your grilling essentials ready to start the braai? Some grilling basics include charcoal, blitz, wood, tongs to toss, containers to store the food in etc. You should already have some of this equipment already in your home, but charcoal, wood and blitz can all be bought at your nearest shopping centre.
Ensure Your Spice Rack is Stocked Up
Run out of your favourite braai spice? That sounds like a recipe for disaster! When you’re doing your meat and veggie shopping, be sure to scan through your spice rack for any herbs and spices you need to top up on. The last thing you need is to host a ‘bland’ braai. Our Robertsons Braai and Grill spice is the only pantry staple all-in-one spice you’ll ever need and will take your braai to the next level.
Which Herb and Spice Blends are Perfect for Summer Grilling?
Robertsons spice blends are perfect for summer grilling because it already contains the perfect mix needed to season your meat. No need to combine multiple herbs and spices, we did the work for you so that you can sit back, relax, and enjoy a delicious braai flavoured to perfection. These are some of the perfect Robertsons herb and spice blends you need to use this summer:
- Robertsons Braai & Grill All-in-One: an expertly-crafted blend of earthy and fragrant herbs and spices, the perfect all-in-one seasoning for your braai. Your meat and vegetables will taste phenomenal!
- Robertsons Masterblends Traditional Braai mix: for the ultimate and tastiest braai meat, use a generous amount of this traditional braai mix to season and tenderise your meat for maximum flavour.
- Robertsons Masterblends Spicy Shisanyama: great for lamb chops and steaks, this spicy shisanyama mix is sure to bring the heat and pack on some serious flavour.
- Robertsons Masterblends Rosemary and Garlic: ideal for chicken or beef, this herb and spice blend combines earthy garlic and rosemary to lock flavour into your meat or veggies.
How to Prepare a Spice Rub for a Meaty Summer Braai
Spice rubs are the secret ingredient to a delicious meaty summer braai. When they’re homemade, they taste even better! They’re also much less complicated than you would think and can vary in flavour, depending on the type of meat you want to season.
Our Top Summer Grill Recipes You Can Make in No Time
Grilled Ribeye Steak. Fire up the braai and toss on this expertly-seasoned BBQ ribeye steak that’s been beautifully marinated using only two ingredients - butter and Robertsons Braai & Grill Spice. Delicious and easy, just how it’s meant to be!
Grilled Shortrib. Help! Sticky, tender and melt-in-your-mouth short ribs! Made with Robertsons Braai & Grill Spicy BBQ, this is sure to be the star of your summertime braai.
Grilled Mielies are a classic South African braai side dish. You can make their flavours even more amazing by seasoning them with Robertsons Braai & Grill All-in-One spice and brushing over it with melted butter.
Flame Grilled Fish deserves a spot on your braai too! Enjoy smoky, flame-grilled fish basted in olive oil and lemon juice and seasoned lightly with Robertsons Braai & Grill All-in-one spice.