Add excellent flavour and rich colour to your traditional South African potjie by frying chicken pieces until golden with our famous Robertsons Chicken Spice before you add the herbs, spices and veggies. This is an easy potjie perfect for special occasions!
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 kg chicken thighs
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) Robertsons Chicken Spice
- 4 Robertsons Bay Leaves
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Robertsons Thyme
- 4 Robertsons Black Peppercorns
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) chutney
- 500 g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 200 g button mushrooms
- 1 Knorr Chicken Stock Pot
- 500 ml (2 cups) hot water
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cornflour (optional)
- Heat the oil in a cast iron potije over hot coals, or in a heavy-based pot on the stove. Sprinkle the chicken thigh with Robertsons Chicken Spice and fry, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns and chutney, and stir well.
- Arrange the carrots, potatoes and mushrooms in layers on top of the chicken pieces.
- Dissolve the Knorr Chicken Stock Pot in the water and add it to the potjie.
- Put the lid on and simmer over low coals for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until chicken and potatoes are cooked through.
- If you would like to thicken your potjie, mix the cornflour to a paste with a little water, add this to the pot and cook until thickened to your liking.
- Serve hot with rice or pap.
Try our Menu Planner
Simply answer a few dietary questions and we will serve you a personalised weekly menu featuring recipes that suit your needs.